Local authority support and needs assessments

The Sutton Social Services Team provides information, support and assessments of needs for people with dementia and their carers. Assessments are used to help identify what your needs as a person with dementia are, or as a carer and what services the council can provide to support you. More information can be found on the Sutton Council Care Assessment web pages.

You can contact London Borough of Sutton, Referral Point, Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA. You can also email them at referralpoint@sutton.gov.uk or call the contact centre on 020 8770 6080.

Requesting a carer’s assessment from your local council

Your GP, clinician or other support worker can arrange a needs assessment or you can request this directly yourself. Services and support are offered by the local authority where the person with care needs lives. If you are arranging a care assessment on behalf of someone else you will need their authorisation.

You can also use the gov.uk Apply for a needs assessment from social services tool to apply for assessments.

You can complete a carer self-assessment form and submit it to Sutton council, or you can call the Contact Centre on 020 8770 6080 to request a face-to-face carer’s assessment.

You may want to get help with the assessment process or financial assessments from a friend of through your local Alzheimer’s Society office or Carers UK. The Sutton Centre for Independent Living and Learning (SCILL) provides information, advice and support to people living in Sutton who have care needs or are a carer. The Information and Advice Service staff can support you to complete applications for benefits, support you through the care needs assessment process and help you access services locally. You can contact the team by email at information@scill.org.uk or by calling 020 8770 4065.


Local Support in Sutton

The Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Connect search facility lists the services available in Sutton for people with dementia and their carers or supporters. You can contact your local Alzheimer’s Society office in person at Part Ground Floor, 41-45 Lind Road, Sutton, SM1 4PP. You can also email them at sutton@alzheimers.org.uk or call on 0208 770 1875.

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) run a local Sutton advice service. Details of the local CAB offices can be found on the Sutton CAB website. The local CAB office can be found at The Central Libary, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA. To arrange a face to face meeting or to receive community based advise, please call 020 8405 3552.

Support for carers in Sutton

Caring for a person with young onset dementia or supporting a family member or friend can be rewarding but challenging. It’s important that you get the support needed to stay healthy and enable you to continue with day to day life. Support from organisations like Alzheimer’s Society, Care UK, local and peer support groups and forums can be invaluable.

The Sutton Carers Centre provides information, advice and support services for adult carers in Sutton.You can contact them directly at Benhill House, 1st Floor, 12-14 Benhill Avenue, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 4DA or by email at enquiries@suttoncarerscentre.org or by calling 020 8296 5611. They are open Monday, Thursday and Friday 10am – 5pm, Tuesday 10am – 8pm, Wednesday 10am – 12.30pm, and the second Saturday of every month 11am – 1pm

The Carers UK is a national website aimed at carers and the challenges they face. They offer comprehensive information and guidance and an online carers forum to share experiences and get emotional support from others in similar situations. You can email them at info@carersuk.org or call the advice line on 0808 808 7777.


National advice services

Counselling Directory is a confidential service that encourages those in distress to seek help. The directory contains information on many different types of distress, as well as articles, news, and events.  All counsellors listed on the site have provided qualifications and insurance cover or proof of membership with a professional body.

Many people in the earlier stages of dementia decide to make a record of their preferences in case they are unable to articulate these at some future point.  This can be done through what is known as a ‘Living Will’, which consists of both an Advance Decision to refuse treatment and an Advance Statement of preferences and wishes.  My Living Will provides free information about how to do this, and an option to create a Living Will for a small fee.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau team can offer advice and help. You can search for your local branch on the Citizens Advice Bureau website. They provide high quality consumer advice and guidance if you are thinking of buying a product or service or have had issues with a consumer product. Their helpline is 03454 04 05 06

The Advice Now website provides national guidance for a range of topics from money and tax to benefits and housing.

The Unbiased website provides a search facility for professional services. You can search for a local solicitor, accountant or financial advisor in your area. All listed providers are impartial and independent of product providers.

The Money Advice Service (MAS) was set up by government to offer free and impartial advice. The Money Advice Line opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday, 9am to 1pm on 0300 500 5000. You can also email them at enquiries@moneyadviceservice.org.uk


Find approved tradespeople and companies

Sutton council does not offer an approved contractor scheme for workmen. You can contact the Trading Standards team for general information but support for consumers is now dealt with by the Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you wish to employ workmen or buy services from a local business you can check if they have been approved by Trading Standards or other organisations and review customer feedback before paying any money or signing a contract.

The Check a trade scheme provides a postcode search facility of tradespeople and business which have been used and reviewed by customers.

Trading Standards offers a Buy with confidence search facility to search local businesses that have been pre-vetted and approved.

Rated People allows you to post a job (like install new windows) on their website and allows up to 3 tradespeople to provide quotes for the work. We would always advise caution when sharing personal information and any quotations received should be thoroughly checked so you understand what’s provided. You should investigate the company offering the quote using the Check a Trade and Buy with Confidence websites.

The My Builder website also allows you to post a job requiring builders or other tradespeople to provide quotations.

TrustMark is an award-winning scheme is supported by government and consumer protection groups. It’s designed to help search for reliable, trustworthy tradesmen for home improvements and repairs. TrustMark firms have been checked to ensure they meet government standards and comply with a code of practice.

What to do when things go wrong?

If you have purchased good or services and have a problem with them and cant resolve it with the company, you can report the issue to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service or call the helpline on 03454 04 05 06.

You can still get general advise from the Trading Standards Team – London Borough of Sutton, Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA. You can email them at trading.standards@sutton.gov.uk or call them on 020 8770 5000.

If you feel you have been the victim of a scam or are concerned about tradespeople or others asking for money for works that you have not requested, please contact your local police or call 101. You have a right to feel safe and secure in your home and to request that any pre-arranged visitors show valid identification such as a staff card before you allow them in. You can ask them to wait whilst you call the business or ask them to return when you have someone with you. If you are not expecting them to visit your home, be wary.


Travel and transport

Help with travel

Sutton Council offers a Blue Badge Scheme which provides parking and other motoring concessions for people who are registered blind or have mobility problems or who cant use public transport. If you are caring for a person with dementia, you may also be eligible for the scheme which allows users to park free of charge for an unlimited period in any Sutton disabled parking bay, pay and display bay or shared use and permit holder bay.

You may be eligible for a Freedom Pass from Sutton to help with travel costs. The Freedom Passes provide free travel on most public transport at any time.

When using public transport becomes difficult, the council and some charities may be able to offer subsidised transport, such as taxis or mobility buses through their TaxiCard Scheme.

Driving assessments

The DVLA should be informed of if you have received a diagnosis of dementia. The driver assessment request form and information from the DVLA can be found on the gov.uk guide for DVLA Drivers Medical Group.

You can write to them at – Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Swansea, SA99 1TU. eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk Telephone number 0300 790 6806 (Monday to Friday 8.00am–5.30pm, Saturday 8.00am–1.00pm). Main DVLA telephone number is 0300 790 6801.

Details of mobility centers offering driving assessments in your area can be found on the Forum of mobility centers website.

There is a driving assessment center in Carshalton covering for south west London. They are a registered charity and also provide advise about adaptions and training – Queen Elizabeth Foundation Mobility Services, Damson Way, Fountain Drive, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 4NR. You can email then at mobility@qef.org.uk or call to make an appointment or to talk through the assessment process on 020 8770 1151.


You may also be interested in . . .

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve . . .

Help us to improve our website by letting us know of any issues you find: like broken links, incorrect information or any suggestions you have about how we can improve our content.