Local authority support and needs assessments

Assessments are used to help identify what your needs as a person with dementia are, or as a carer. and what services the council can provide to support you. Your GP, clinician or other support worker can arrange a needs assessment or you can request this directly yourself.

The Richmond Adult Social Services Team provides information, support and assessments of needs for people with dementia and their carers.  More information about arranging a needs assessment can be found on the Richmond Council Adult Social Care web pages.

You can contact Richmond Adult Access Team for advice or support in person at Richmond Council, Adult and Community Services, York House, Richmond Road, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ. You can also contact them by email at adultsocialservices@richmond.gov.uk or by calling 0208 712 7800 (Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5.15pm, and on Friday from 9am to 5pm).

You can also use the gov.uk Apply for a needs assessment from social services tool to apply for assessments.

You may want to get help with the assessment process or financial assessments from a friend of through your local Alzheimer’s Society office or Carers UK. Locally, the Advice Richmond service offers advice to local residents accessing local services,  welfare benefits and support to help you complete application forms or ensure you are receiving the correct benefits.


Local Support in Richmond

Richmond council runs a number of local services for residents with dementia and their carers and supporters. Details of Richmond’s dementia services can be found on their website.

The Richmond Community Independent Living  Service (CILS) provides signposting to a wide range of services designed to help users live as independently as possible as part of the local community. The CILS was created to provide local activities and support services to help improve physical and mental well-being of residents and to tackle isolation. The CILS provides services and information through local partnerships with GoLocal and The Community Partnership.

The Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Connect search facility lists the services available in Richmond for people with dementia and their carers or supporters. The Alzheimer’s Society run a  local Richmond Dementia Support Service for people with dementia, their families and supporters. You can contact the main South West London branch in person at 241 Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4DU, by email at RichmondServices@alzheimers.org.uk, or by calling 020 8877 0033.

The Alzheimer’s Society run a regular Richmond Coffee mornings for Younger People with Dementia group. They provide peer to peer support and the opportunity to meet other young people with dementia and carers in an informal, facilitated environment. The coffee mornings are held at the Richmond Gate Hotel, 152-158 Richmond Hill, Richmond TW10 6RP. Attendance is by invite only and this can be arranged through the South West London Alzheimer’s Society by calling 020 8877 0033.

The main Richmond Citizens Advice Bureau (RCAB) branch has now closed but they provide advice and information from a number of alternative local centers. To find your nearest one, please email them using this form or call 0208 712 7800 open Monday-Thursday 10-00am – 3-00pm.

Richmond AID is a local service for people with disabilities, their carers and families and provides information about benefits and support and how to access local services. You can email them for advice or to make an appointment at benefits@richmondaid.org.uk or call an adviser on 020 8831 6080 /020 8831 6070.

The Advice Richmond service offers advice and support about local services and provide information about welfare benefits and support. The service is open to anyone living in the borough of Richmond.

Richmond council also runs a local Dementia Action Alliance scheme include a range of local organisations within a community. Dementia Action Alliances are local initiatives to help businesses learn how to become more dementia friendly and gain greater awareness and understanding.

Local support for carers in Richmond

Caring for a person with young onset dementia or supporting a family member or friend can be rewarding but challenging. It’s important that you get the support needed to stay healthy and enable you to continue with day to day life. Support from organisations like Alzheimer’s Society, Care UK, local and peer support groups and forums can be invaluable.

The Richmond Carers Hub Dementia Support Service run by the Alzheimer’s Society. Their support workers provide information and practical support to help carers access local services and offer emotional support to cope with day-to-day care responsibilities. You can by email the team at RichmondServices@alzheimers.org.uk, or by calling 020 8877 0033.

Another service offered by the Alzheimer’s Society is the Richmond Carers Evening Support Group. The group provides peer to peer support in facilitated meetings giving users the chance to raise questions and share experiences with others in a similar situation. The sessions are run from 5 Briars Road, Twickenham, Middlesex TW12 2EJ. To join the group you can contact the Alzheimer’s Society using the details above.

The Richmond Carers Centre provides access to support and information and signposting to local services for anyone with care responsibilities who live in Richmond. They can be contacted in person at 5 Briar Road, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW2 6RB. You can also email them at info@richmondcarers.org or telephone the support team on 020 8867 2380.


National advice services

Counselling Directory is a confidential service that encourages those in distress to seek help. The directory contains information on many different types of distress, as well as articles, news, and events.  All counsellors listed on the site have provided qualifications and insurance cover or proof of membership with a professional body.

Many people in the earlier stages of dementia decide to make a record of their preferences in case they are unable to articulate these at some future point.  This can be done through what is known as a ‘Living Will’, which consists of both an Advance Decision to refuse treatment and an Advance Statement of preferences and wishes.  My Living Will provides free information about how to do this, and an option to create a Living Will for a small fee.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau team can offer advice and help. You can search for your local branch on the Citizens Advice Bureau website. They provide a wide range of consumer guidance if you are thinking of purchasing goods or services. Their helpline is 03454 04 05 06

The Advice Now website provides national guidance for a range of topics from money and tax to benefits and housing.

The Unbiased website provides a search facility for professional services. You can search for a local solicitor, accountant or financial advisor in your area. All listed providers are impartial and independent of product providers.

The Money Advice Service (MAS) was set up by government to offer free and impartial advice. The Money Advice Line opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday, 9am to 1pm on 0300 500 5000. You can also email them at enquiries@moneyadviceservice.org.uk


Find approved tradespeople and companies

Richmond council does not offer an approved contractor scheme for workmen. Advice and support for consumers is now dealt with by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. If you wish to employ workmen or buy services from a local business you can check if they have been approved by Trading Standards or other organisations and review customer feedback before paying any money or signing a contract.

The Check a trade scheme provides a postcode search facility of tradespeople and business which have been used and reviewed by customers.

Trading Standards offers a Buy with confidence search facility to search local businesses that have been pre-vetted and approved.

Rated People allows you to post a job (like install new windows) on their website and allows up to 3 tradespeople to provide quotes for the work. We would always advise caution when sharing personal information and any quotations received should be thoroughly checked so you understand what’s provided. You should investigate the company offering the quote using the Check a Trade and Buy with Confidence websites.

The My Builder website also allows you to post a job requiring builders or other tradespeople to provide quotations.

TrustMark is an award-winning scheme is supported by government and consumer protection groups. It’s designed to help search for reliable, trustworthy tradesmen for home improvements and repairs. TrustMark firms have been checked to ensure they meet government standards and comply with a code of practice.

What to do when things go wrong?

If you have purchased good or services and have a problem with them and cant resolve it with the company, you can report the issue to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service or call the helpline on 03454 04 05 06

If you feel you have been the victim of a scam or are concerned about tradespeople or others asking for money for works that you have not requested, please contact your local police or call 101.

You have a right to feel safe and secure in your home and to request that any pre-arranged visitors show valid identification such as a staff card before you allow them in. You can ask them to wait whilst you call the business or ask them to return when you have someone with you. If you are not expecting them to visit your home, be wary.


Travel and transport

Help with travel

Richmond Council offers a Blue Badge Scheme which provides parking and other motoring concessions for people who are registered blind or have mobility problems or who cant use public transport. If you are caring for a person with dementia, you may also be eligible for the scheme which allows users to park free of charge for an unlimited period in any Richmond disabled parking bay, pay and display bay or shared use and permit holder bay.

You may be eligible for a Freedom Pass from Richmond to help with travel costs. The Freedom Passes gives free travel on most public transport at any time.

When using public transport becomes difficult, the council and some charities may be able to offer subsidised transport, such as taxis or mobility buses through their TaxiCard Scheme.

Driving assessments

The DVLA should be informed of if you have received a diagnosis of dementia. The driver assessment request form and information from the DVLA can be found on the gov.uk guide for DVLA Drivers Medical Group.

You can write to them at – Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Swansea, SA99 1TU. eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk Telephone number 0300 790 6806 (Monday to Friday 8.00am–5.30pm, Saturday 8.00am–1.00pm). Main DVLA telephone number is 0300 790 6801.

Details of mobility centers offering driving assessments in your area can be found on the Forum of mobility centers website.

There is a driving assessment center in Carshalton covering for south west London. They are a registered charity and also provide advise about adaptions and training – Queen Elizabeth Foundation Mobility Services, Damson Way, Fountain Drive, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 4NR. You can email then at mobility@qef.org.uk or call to make an appointment or to talk through the assessment process on 020 8770 1151.


You may also be interested in . . .

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve . . .

Help us to improve our website by letting us know of any issues you find: like broken links, incorrect information or any suggestions you have about how we can improve our content.