Local authority support and needs assessments

Assessments are used to help identify what your needs as a person with dementia are, or as a carer. and what services the council can provide to support you. Your GP, clinician or other support worker can arrange a needs assessment or you can request this directly yourself.

The Kingston Adult Social Services Team provides information, support and assessments of needs for people with dementia and their carers.  More information can be found on the Kingston Council Adult Social Care web pages.

You can contact Kingston Adult Social Care for advice or support in person at Guildhall, 2 High Street, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 1EU. You can also email them at adults@kingston.gov.uk or call on 020 8547 5005.

You can also use the gov.uk Apply for a needs assessment from social services tool to apply for assessments.

You may want to get help with the assessment process or financial assessments from a friend of through your local Alzheimer’s Society office or Carers UK. Locally, the Kingston One Click service offers advice to local residents accessing local services,  welfare benefits and support to help you complete application forms or ensure you are receiving the correct benefits. You may find more information by emailing them at www.kingstononeclick.org.uk.


Local Support in Kingston

The Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Connect search facility lists the services available in Kingston for people with dementia and their carers or supporters. The Alzheimer’s Society run a  local Kingston Dementia Support Service for people with dementia, their families and supporters. You can contact the Kingston branch in person at Woodroffe House, Tolworth Hospital, Red Lion Road, Surbiton, KT6 7QU, by email at kingstonoffice@alzheimers.org.uk, or by calling 020 3513 5147.

The Kingston One Click service offers advice to local residents accessing local services,  welfare benefits and support to help you complete application forms or ensure you are receiving the correct benefits. You may find more information by emailing them at www.kingstononeclick.org.uk.

You can also visit the Kingston Citizens Advice Bureau at www.kcabs.org.uk or call 020 3166 0953 (Monday to Friday : 10am – 1pm).

Support for carers in Kingston

Caring for a person with young onset dementia or supporting a family member or friend can be rewarding but challenging. It’s important that you get the support needed to stay healthy and enable you to continue with day to day life. Support from organisations like Alzheimer’s Society, Care UK, local and peer support groups and forums can be invaluable.

The Alzheimer’s Society run the Kingston Carer Support Group providing facilitated peer to peer support in a relaxed environment, to get support and share information and experiences with other carers. The group meets at Noble Centre, 109A Blagdon Road, New Malden KT3 4BD. Access to the group is by referral by your GP or by calling 020 8877 0033.

They also run a Kingston – Carer Information Programme (CrISP1) 2015 is a series of sessions for carers and supporters of people recently diagnosed with dementia and include information about dementia, legal and financial information, support and coping with dementia.

The Staywell service for people aged 60 and above (provided by Age Uk Kingston) provides a specialist advice service called Information, Advice & Advocacy. The Staywell advisers provide independent information on benefits, legal issues, health and local services and can assist with benefits claims and form filling, case work and advocacy. You can contact the in person at Raleigh House, 14 Nelson Road, New Malden KT3 5EA, by email at advice@staywellservices.org.uk or call on 020 8408 8170.

The Kingston Carers Network (KCN) is a registered charity providing independent information, advice, advocacy and support to people who care for someone living in Kingston. The KCN aims to support carers in accessing benefits and services and to help those with care responsibilities to receive emotional and practical support from local organisations.

You can visit them at The Noble Centre, 109a Blagdon Road, New Malden, Kingston-upon-Thames, KT3 4BD, email them at info@kingstoncarers.org.uk or call them on 020 3031 2751.

The Carers UK is a national website aimed at carers and the challenges they face. They offer comprehensive information and guidance and an online carers forum to share experiences and get emotional support from others in similar situations. You can email them at info@carersuk.org or call the advice line on 0808 808 7777.


National advice services

Counselling Directory is a confidential service that encourages those in distress to seek help. The directory contains information on many different types of distress, as well as articles, news, and events.  All counsellors listed on the site have provided qualifications and insurance cover or proof of membership with a professional body.

Many people in the earlier stages of dementia decide to make a record of their preferences in case they are unable to articulate these at some future point.  This can be done through what is known as a ‘Living Will’, which consists of both an Advance Decision to refuse treatment and an Advance Statement of preferences and wishes.  My Living Will provides free information about how to do this, and an option to create a Living Will for a small fee.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau team can offer advice and help. You can search for your local branch on the Citizens Advice Bureau website.They offer a wide range of consumer guidance if you are thinking of purchasing goods or services. Their helpline is 03454 04 05 06

The Advice Now website provides national guidance for a range of topics from money and tax to benefits and housing.

The Unbiased website provides a search facility for professional services. You can search for a local solicitor, accountant or financial advisor in your area. All listed providers are impartial and independent of product providers.

The Money Advice Service (MAS) was set up by government to offer free and impartial advice. The Money Advice Line opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday, 9am to 1pm on 0300 500 5000. You can also email them at enquiries@moneyadviceservice.org.uk


Find approved tradespeople and companies

Kingston council does not offer an approved contractor scheme for workmen. If you wish to employ workmen or buy services from a local business you can check if they have been approved by Trading Standards or other organisations and review customer feedback before paying any money or signing a contract.

The Check a trade scheme provides a postcode search facility of tradespeople and business which have been used and reviewed by customers.

Trading Standards offers a Buy with confidence search facility to search local businesses that have been pre vetted and approved.

Rated People allows you to post a job (like install new windows) on their website and allows up to 3 tradespeople to provide quotes for the work. We would always advise caution when sharing personal information and any quotations received should be thoroughly checked so you understand what’s provided. You should investigate the company offering the quote using the Check a Trade and Buy with Confidence websites.

The My Builder website also allows you to post a job requiring builders or other tradespeople to provide quotations.

TrustMark is an award-winning scheme is supported by government and consumer protection groups. It’s designed to help search for reliable, trustworthy tradesmen for home improvements and repairs. TrustMark firms have been checked to ensure they meet government standards and comply with a code of practice.

The Unbiased website provides a search facility for professional services. You can search for a local solicitor, accountant or financial advisor in your area. All listed providers are impartial and independent of product providers.

What to do when things go wrong?

If you have purchased good or services and have a problem with them and cant resolve it with the company, you can report the issue to the Citizens Advice consumer service or call the helpline on 03454 04 05 06

If you feel you have been the victim of a scam or are concerned about tradespeople or others asking for money for works that you have not requested, please contact your local police or call 101.

You have a right to feel safe and secure in your home and to request that any pre-arranged visitors show valid identification such as a staff card before you allow them in. You can ask them to wait whilst you call the business or ask them to return when you have someone with you. If you are not expecting them to visit your home, be wary.


Travel and transport

Help with travel

Kingston Council offers a Blue Badge Scheme which provides parking and other motoring concessions for people who are registered blind or have mobility problems or who cant use public transport. If you are caring for a person with dementia, you may also be eligible for the scheme which allows users to park free of charge for an unlimited period in any Kingston disabled parking bay, pay and display bay or shared use and permit holder bay.

You may be eligible for a Freedom Pass from Kingston to help with travel costs. The Freedom Passes gives free travel on most public transport at any time.

When using public transport becomes difficult, the council and some charities may be able to offer subsidised transport, such as taxis or mobility buses through their TaxiCard Scheme.

Driving assessments

The DVLA should be informed of if you have received a diagnosis of dementia. The driver assessment request form and information from the DVLA can be found on the gov.uk guide for DVLA Drivers Medical Group.

You can write to them at – Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Swansea, SA99 1TU. eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk Telephone number 0300 790 6806 (Monday to Friday 8.00am–5.30pm, Saturday 8.00am–1.00pm). Main DVLA telephone number is 0300 790 6801.

Details of mobility centers offering driving assessments in your area can be found on the Forum of mobility centers website.

There is a driving assessment center in Carshalton covering for south west London. They are a registered charity and also provide advise about adaptions and training – Queen Elizabeth Foundation Mobility Services, Damson Way, Fountain Drive, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 4NR. You can email then at mobility@qef.org.uk or call to make an appointment or to talk through the assessment process on 020 8770 1151.


You may also be interested in . . .

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve . . .

Help us to improve our website by letting us know of any issues you find: like broken links, incorrect information or any suggestions you have about how we can improve our content.